Wobetom is known to be among the group of 17th century Montaukett sachems. His grave was identified in East Hampton by a glass bottle inscribed with his name.


One of the 17th century Pantigo burials were that of a leader, Wobetom, known from the Town Records as well as by this autographed English spirits bottle.

Wobeton-bottle-from-Saville-Book Wobetom Jeremy Dennis On This Site
Glass Bottle With “Wobetom” Scratched Thereon (Height 6-1/4 in.) Photo from A Montauk Cemetery at East Hamton, Saville pp.85

Late in July 1657 several Montauk sachems conveyed to the English a large parcel of Indian land. One chief signed himself “WOBETOM X his mark”.

In 1670 three Englishmen (Mulford, Stratton, and Backer) hired “Wabatiene the engien to Keape . . . Cattell att mantake a nother munthe.” On December 2nd, 1675 some settlers and Indians agreed to go whaling. One of the Montauks listed was “Wahpeton” or “Wahpetum.” Some eight years later “John Indian, son of Wobbeton” was indentured to Richard Stratton. This is the last mention of Wobetom, Chief of the Montauks that we find in history until 1916 or 1917 when a glass bottle with the name “Wobetom” scratched on its shoulder was exhumed at Pantigo.1

  1.  Dr. John C. Huden, Montauk Indian Cemeteries, 1949 pp. 104[]