|Table of Contents||Introduction|
Yaphank, a village in Brookhaven town, was originally the name of the creek south of the hamlet. A land deed signed in 1664 by Unkechaug Sachem Tobacus mentions a river called Yamphanke.
In the 17th century, the Unkechaug Indians, who had their primary residence in nearby Mastic, built temporary campsites near what was later known as Weeks Pond.
A later Indian deed for Yaphank Neck, dated November 13, 1688, bounds it as “on the south by a small River called Yamphank.”1
- William Wallace Tooker, Indian Place Names of Long Island, 1911, pp. 295